Sunday, August 1, 2010

REFLECTION: CONFLICTING TEACHING BELIEFS

Just finished working at JHEAT and this morning I had a pedagogy course at PKG Permaisuri. I was all smiles upon seeing the name of the writer of the module for the course entitled 'Scaffolding for writing'. A memory of me stucked in the lift together with her flashed and because of the incident she still recognizes me. I got to find out about the fact during the drama course that I've attended months back. She is a great lecturer and I am sure the pedagogy course would have been more interesting if she is the one who facilitates the course. Not that the current facilitator is not good, it's just that the one who wrote the module would explain things better. In a way i am so proud that I've got the chance to learn from her as she is a great teacher yet humble. She makes me feel comfortable in her class and she used to say that teaching and learning process should not be threatening to the students. I personally think she is really a practitioner of what she preaches as I felt nothing but joy throughout the course as if it is something as fun as watching movie etc.

Compared to my own current practice in teaching at the moment, it is far from what she does. I can give students non-threatening tasks, but it won't be that entertaining and fun. The only activity that I think that students really find enjoyable is singing. At the same time, the need to prepare you for examination is also a matter of a great concern that at times I am forced to do nothing but instruct students to do the dull copying activity. It is a belief of so many academicians that such approaches towards exam do nothing in preparing students for the real world. I feel like I am stucked in the middle.

One important thing is that I must ensure that students exhibit change even it is little. It's not easy but it is what teachers are here for.
No matter what let's treat everyday as a door towards something new. Struggle or 'mujahadah' is needed. Difficult as it sounds indeed.

1 comment:

  1. Invariably we tend to please students though it costs them their grades as to us what matters most is learning process took place.We r in a state of paradox that to some extent we r a loss of ideas or things to do.Above all, i rather change their attitude be it via rigorous modes or fun as without it they are nobody. But..do i have one worthy to emulate?huhuhu

    ReplyDelete