Tuesday, March 30, 2010

REFLECTION: ON BEING SATISFIED

Do we teachers look way too obsessed with percentage/statistic or anything that has got to do with numbers? We might look as if in order to make us grin to the ears we must see the reduced amount of the failure of percentage. Yes, I do!! Well, it might be true as human loves achievement especially male as coined by Dr John Gray, the famous author of the book 'Men are from Mars, Women are from Venus.' We admit we fond of judging things based on what can be counted. But talking about satisfaction, it does not merely countable on what is countable like your exam result. I, as a teacher feel that satisfaction in this greatest job comes from I have produced, my very own product.. my students. It is not like other profession such as engineer, accountant, architect etc, in which we have the absolute, accurate idea of how the product that we are working on will come out as we have planned it to be..for it only requires us to follow certain rigid rules in order for it to be the final intended product. These are the type of products that are made for men use. Well everything is created for us, the homo sapiens. The point of focus of everything in this universe. Even the sun, the giant spotlight shines just for human's sake.

So as men are the focus of everything, teachers should be made aware that their jobs is the greatest for they are dealing with the most important creation of God, man. They are closest to the change that people want to see. Teachers are the one who produces Men by bringing out their best potential. That is what I love about my profession, which is to paint my own so called product with any colours that I like in accordance with what they are born with ~ potential, talent.

I am satisfied the moment I watched Umar's determination, despite suffering from chicken-pox, to stand in front of the crowd telling story about the great Genghis Khan, or to watch Ainur and Aina wowed the audience with the way they delivered their speech. I have too much to be thankful for when Mat Yie confidently won the story-telling contest through his so charismatic, so charming way of expressing 'The Elephant & The Cat' story. At least it is no more than just a kid story under Mat Yie's presentation. I am happy to see Edy's effort to be one reliable walking dictionary among his peers. He really did in fact! Saiful and Syamil deserve a praise for their attitude at being their best-self that their absence makes others grow fonder of them. And there are more examples of the likes of you and it is well-kept in my mind, don't worry!

It takes one to know one and I wish I will be persistent in finding what satisfies me most. And Sir is right when he said that it is hard to produce even a single thinking student. Producing thinkers? Even in a great school, it is not an easy task to produce one. But who cares? As to many, what matters most in life is to get a good degree so that you can have all those unnecessary things and live a life of soulless routine. No, we don't really need that. We need a life that is examined and contemplated. A life of a satisfied soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment