Saturday, July 24, 2010

THE OTHER SIDE OF ENGLISH COMPETITION

Dear students,

I could hear from afar as far as Sudanese temporary yet tiny settlement the song sung and rapped by our Geng Pak Kancil a.k.a GPK yesterday morning. It seemed the crowd turned a bit crazy when Edie took turn belting out his husky voice to the excitement of the audience. I think mat yie as usual , showcasing his macho style with his extra made-in-UK slang. Bob did a great job anyway with the help of back up dancers Mizi and Amar. And not to forget Zil Majdi, whose energetic performance deserved credits from the true jurors, the crowd.

I prefer staying afar as I decided to myself moments it came to my knowledge that English Competition Final was to be held right at SMAS.Why did they prefer SMAS, the dump site of the rejects?I mean those rebellious against the small napoleons?those having gut to voice out their dissatisfaction over issues created by teachers-cum-big headed officers.. .Ironically,they want us the rejects to entertain them,to add another extra day commuting to and fro from as far as Kuala Terengganu to give them first class treatment. They give us prior warning that certificate will not be awarded should we fail to commit ourselves giving our best to welcome them.It sounds intimidating..fuhhh... come on we don't need the certificate after all.No added value to my CV.

However,to my sadness. i did it at the cost of forcing my teaching colleague to handle all and everything alone. Incessant complaints and comments hurled against her throughout the competition as if nothing others could do but to complain instead of to help. I could visualise that, but i was a reject among the rejects.I rather talk with Coelho than taking pains to entertain those small napoleons.Though small the task to her, it might be monumental if doing it alone, especially for her first time being entrusted to handle such an event. Thank God , in the end, the program proved to be a stupendous one despite her first time handling all and everything alone.She learnt the most during the one and a half day event. I know i will not regret my decision as i can't stand giving undue respect to those who once conspired to put me in trouble.The memory of me being hauled to the commissioner's spacious room to testify before six top brass including the arrogant commissioner himself that i am fit to be a teacher despite being undermined by them based on data collected by investigating officers then who on of them happened to be the master mind of this 9th English Competition remains and will always remain in my memory so long i permit myself to it.After all i am a human, i admit that to forgive is divine.However, to simply forgive without reason is at times a cowardice act itself. There are many ways to learn and i prefer to learn the other way around.

The only way to stop contempleting this nonsense is start thinking of you my dear students. Without you all, dear students, we teachers and those in exalted positions will be of non existence. Forgive me should i make mistakes for i am after all human. To coin a quote from Kurt shared by the someone ' I rather be hated for whom i am not'.

Sir

4 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "The only way to stop contempleting this nonsense is start thinking of you my dear students." - i did all these because of the students. why do u have to care about them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'them' is referred to those whom u call small napoleons.

    A human is no machine. he or she does have feelings even though she is of little importance to you

    ReplyDelete
  4. or he is of little importance? i bet u to ponder...ooo..little napoleons are those with power or little power in the office out there in jihet,definitely not our dear students.sometimes my fingers slipped!do i make myself clear?

    ReplyDelete