Monday, February 14, 2011

WHAT MAKES A PASSIONATE TEACHER?

Teachers across Malaysia complain about way too many clerical tasks and only now after being at this e school I understand their feelings. It's different from what I had experienced in a school which secures a special place in my heart. I thought it would be more intellectually stimulating, suffice to say it is not, I feel more like a clerk, a robot. It's true working at previous school is more relaxing, but it means more time can be spent on being with students, and do things which challenge our thinking but yet more fun and satisfying as the hours are dedicated for the students. Here, you are treated like a new teacher who just got posted to her first school. It's hard when you love to not to obey orders.

Well, there is also positive side. The joy of teaching here lies in the students. They are surprisingly active, enthusiastic and appreciative. If only I can enjoy more extra time with them, yet I am stucked with these what-ever documentations.

This in turn, leads me into thinking, what makes one entitled to be called a great teacher? Teachers who are systematic in their work is celebrated... I think that should not be the case as everyone has their own way of doing things. I am in no position to say I am right as I know I am myself confined in my own set of thinking which is dangerous and I know it is the time for me to embrace changes without sacrificing my ideals.

And at the end of the day, it's best to think 'quranically'.. this verse from the holy book miraculously saved myself from those negative energy that I ignite since the day when everything went against my will.

"Yes [on the contrary], whoever submits his face in Islam to Allah while being a doer of good will have his reward with his Lord. And no fear will there be concerning them, nor will they grieve (2:112)."

And I view things in a different light after that. Tq Allah


2 comments:

  1. as we commonly know great teacher is the one who inspires.it does not suffice if he or she only transmits info or even explain the tangles. or knowledge you once did it at smas and i m pretty sure you keep inspiring your in charge there.

    the rest is a matter of time before someone settle down with tasks at hand no matter how burdening they are as no greater task human being can not bear. Remember that is a learning process that would be of a great value in the near future. Beacon once said writing makes one exact as unlike speaking it requires us to think more than twice or thrice or even more and not external supports like body gestures or graphics.May be, that environment will lead you to what Beacon once reckoned. But not in Setiu haha..suffice if i simply put 'Tidak suka membaca ' for weaknesses and ' galakkan membaca' for suggestion for SWOT.

    After all, nothing happens without reason and He is always the reason we live for. Be happy

    ReplyDelete
  2. My Lord God, I have no idea where I am going,
    I do not see the road ahead of me.
    I cannot know for certain where it will end.

    Nor do I really know myself,
    and the fact that I think I am following your will
    does not mean that I am actually doing so.

    But I believe that the desire to please you does in fact please you.
    And I hope I have that desire in all that I am doing.

    I hope that I will never do anything apart from that desire.
    And I know that if I do this you will lead me by the right road,
    though I may know nothing about it.

    I will not fear, for you are ever with me,
    and you will never leave me to face my perils alone.

    __________________________________

    in Thoughts in Solitude by Thomas Merton

    ReplyDelete